10 ingredients · 1 hour 5 minutes · 4 servings
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
2. Heat half of the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about five minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for another minute. Stir in the tomato sauce and season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until the tomato sauce has warmed through.
3. Transfer the tomato sauce mixture to the bottom of a baking dish.
4. Arrange the eggplant, zucchini, and tomato slices in the baking dish in an alternating pattern standing on their sides. (Cut the eggplant slices in halve or thirds to better fit in the baking dish). Brush the top of the vegetables with the remaining oil.
5. Cover the baking dish with foil or a lid and bake for 30 minutes then remove the cover and continue to bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Top with the basil leaves. Divide between plates and enjoy!
Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days.
Serving Size: One serving is approximately equal to 1 1/2 cups.
More Flavor: Use your favourite marinara sauce or pasta sauce instead of tomato sauce. Add red pepper flakes or other dried herbs and spices to taste.
Serve it With: Pasta noodles, rice or protein of choice.
Baking Dish An 8 x 11 baking dish was used for four servings.